LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiTou

Make LabVIEW look nice on a retina display

Retina displays on macs are really nice to work with, the details quality is a real plus, it would be nice if LabVIEW could take advantage of that, for now LabVIEW look really blurry & ugly on a retina display.

See the difference between LabVIEW and GitHub :

LV & git - no zoom

Zoom on LV :

zoom on LV

Zoom on GitHub :

zoom on github

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

4 Comments
mguttmos

This is a long overdue! I refuse to use LabVIEW on my personal computer only because of this !

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast
Oh... well then don't old your breath for this to be implemented. NI is not putting much effort on the mac plateform and it's hard to blame them for that...

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

griffindore
Active Participant

It's not too hard to blame them for not putting effort on the mac platform. The number of industries handcuffed to the Windows platform is shrinking faster and faster by the minute. With languages like Python, R, and Jupyter conquering the scientific computing community, it's no sweat off anyone's back not using LabVIEW. Then you take a look at the elementary kids that are using Scratch and Arts&Science people that use Arduino, and it's looking like an ever more uphill battle for Graphical Programming to conquer the world.

I sure hope NI takes Mac/Linux, GitHub (I can't believe a VI isn't viewable on GitHub), and Cloud Computing seriously pretty soon. Otherwise our LV skills are going to become pretty worthless...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> (I can't believe a VI isn't viewable on GitHub)

GitHub's entire foundation is predicated upon text text text. And VIs fly in the face of that -- you can't even view a block diagram without having all the subVIs because you'll get ? symbols for all the missing subVIs, and class types all change to default wire appearances. That's just the first limitation. They get worse when you start talking about Diff because it requires knowledge of the data structures the code represents instead of just the raw stringyness of the code.

Overall, it's hard to see how to strengthen the handling of VIs in that environment with such a fundamental difference in How Things Work, so I doubt we will ever play well with GitHub or similar tools.

I can't speak to the other topics you raise -- I know NI has lots of people that analyze those topics on a regular basis... I have to trust their judgement on those topics.