LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AristosQueue (NI)

Pop up on Case tunnel and select "Be The Case Selection Terminal"

This happens to me a lot:

I write some algorithm to process a data input. It works, but there's one value of the input that needs a different algorithm. So I draw a Case Structure around my existing code. My data input is now one of the tunnels into the structure. I delete the tunnel, wire the outside broken wire to the case selector "?" terminal and wire the inside of the ? terminal to the inside broken wire. Then I move the ? terminal to the same location where the tunnel used to be.

It's annoying and entirely mechanical. I propose we add a pop up item that allows an existing input tunnel to be quickly converted into the case selector. If the tunnel is on the top or the bottom (or, heaven forbid, the right edge) of the structure then it gets moved to the left edge, but if the tunnel is already on the left edge then the ? terminal moves to that location. If the ? was already wired, the existing connections would be replaced with a regular tunnel.

8 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
I am pretty certain this has been requested before since I posted a RCF shortcut to do this in response to the idea. The idea I responded to was deleted, I presume because it was a duplicate. tst would know why, it was his idea.
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

I do that all the time too, for instance when I discover I need an Error/No error case around some code it would be nice if I could just right-click the error tunnel and select "Make Case Selector". Why such an idea was deleted I have no idea, but lets hear it.

And tunnels through top and bottom edges of structures shouldn't be possible in the first place Smiley Wink.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Sergey_Kolbunov

I also remember this idea has been submitted before

dthor
Active Participant
altenbach
Knight of NI

Especially see also my comment in that hread.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

dthor: your search prowess exceeds mine today. I looked for an existing idea but didn't find it. Thanks.

dthor
Active Participant

Don't worry, I doubt it will happen again. I'm terrible and searching Smiley Very Happy  I just happened to remember that the original idea used "Selector" instead of "selection"

Laura F.
Active Participant