cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Daklu

More resolution for predefined function keys

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given the age of this entry and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we have decided to decline this suggestion and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this. 

Greetings

Walter

Currently the predefined function keys only allow you to execute an entire .vbs file.  How about adding the ability to define a single procedure within a script file to be executed?

3 Comments
JoshRew

This may not be exactly what you're hoping for, but you could try saving off individual scripts that simply have a ScriptInclude and Call SubRoutine...

This way you can also specify values for parameters, have small DIAlogs for inputs for those parameters as necessary, etc.

-Josh

Daklu
Active Participant

I have done that on occasion--it gets messy.  The request was motivated by a desire to keep my scripting code organized.  Being able to call into any one of the exposed functions in a script is much cleaner than creating individual wrapper scripts for each function.  It's probably not possible without dynamically creating a temporary script file in the background to do exactly what you suggest.  Another option is to create a single entry point that gives users the option of which function to call.  Requires more code, and IMO isn't as clean, but probably preferable for my situation.

(My *root* motivation is that Diadem isn't a great platform for exploratory analysis.  Too much stuff requires scripting, and when you're not sure exactly what you want to do you end up creating a bunch of small functions so you can manipulate your data in different ways.  I spend far more time writing scripts so I can look at the data than I do actually looking at the data.  For an example of an extremely powerful "data discovery" application, look at JMP.)

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given the age of this entry and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we have decided to decline this suggestion and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this. 

Greetings

Walter