LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Add Ellipsis and/or Tip Strip for Numbers to show all its digits

Automatic formatting for numbers has limitations.

For instance:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

may in fact be hiding:

ScreenHunter_006.jpg

It's a recurrent problem which I have no good solution for as a LV user (unless I spent tons of code to check the size of each numeric control, the number value, etc). As a follow up on my comment to this "ellipsis" idea, I would suggest having an option to have a "tip strip" showing the complete series of digits of a numeric (of course, keeping the display format chosen by the programmer), in addition to being able to warn the user that the full number cannot be displayed, like this:

ScreenHunter_008.jpg

Ideally, this would be implemented WHEREVER a numeric indicator is used (Graphs, Array Index, you name it).

Feel free to chip in.

4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

I agree with Aristos that as this is just fleshing out in more detail how to implement the other ellipsis idea that this should be closed as Duplicate. The idea will still exist and you will still have a link to it from the ellipsis idea. This will allow any developers that might work on this the opportunity to see what customers would like to be done. While I don't see the creation of this idea as a bad thing because it greatly helps any developers by having specifics on what people are looking for, I think it's better to have all the kudos on the original idea so it has a better shot of getting to the top as this idea would be a part of that idea being implemented. People will still be able to comment here as well and work on how the this idea could be developed. Thanks for the images and extra info though X.!

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

No problem. Thanks.