LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Rejuvenate the "Rearrange Case" window of the Event Structure

As described here, the Event Structure has a few interface issues. One of which is that the "Rearrange Case" Dialog window is not resizable, and the "Complete selector string" has no scrollbar:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

If you have dozens of cases, some of which may contain a dozen different events, this is a nightmare to use.

Don't get me started on the way you can rearrange cases only by dragging and dropping one at a time (ever heard of alphabetical sorting for instance?)!

Thanks for reading.

15 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

BTW, this is true of ANY "Rearrange Case" Dialog Window (Case Structure comes to mind).

As a side suggestion, why no "Rearrange Frames" in Sequence Structures? This one has an even more rudimentary approach to rearranging case order...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Which reminds me to invite everybody to hammer the kudo button of this post suggesting a resizable "Edit Events" window (it was also proposed as part of this one, but it is now closed and certainly not "Completed").

Actually, should not all UI/Productivity windows be resizable? 

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Shameless plug for my RCF plugin that you can use until LabVIEW adds your feature - CaseSelect works with Event Structures, too.  It is resizeable and has an alphabetical sort feature.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Knight of NI
Darren
Proven Zealot

@jcarmody wrote:
CaseSelect works with Event Structures, too.

Really?  I looked in the code for it and didn't see any place where Event Structures were supported.  It's my understanding that scripting doesn't yet provide us the functionality we need to write tools like this to modify the Event Structure (hence my fervent support of this idea)...please correct me if I'm wrong!  🙂

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@ smercurio_fc: I have no problem with it being labeled as "Duplicate" of the idea you are pointing to (which I had kudoed in the past). I am just a bit worried that this other idea will appear so daunting to NI that they will indefinitely postpone working on it, whereas this request is very specific and would solve a PROBLEM (rather than a mere annoyance). Moreover, it refers to possible improvements on how to rearrange cases, which is an entirely different issue than just resizing the window...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@jcarmody: I kind of concur with what Darren is infering. When I select my Event Structure and Left Ctr + 1 + Right Click it, There is nothing more than a grayed out "No Options Available". It works fine with Case Structures though...

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Darren & X

I'm sorry.  I have a zip file in the discussion thread that contains functionality for Event Structures.  I thought I put it in the main page.  Handling Event Structures is difficult because I have to cheat (OCR) to find the case names and I often have to update my "engine" when I find something it doesn't read.

I'll update the download page soon, at least for my own satisfaction.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Let me know. I'd be happy to beta test it for you and send you a list of Events that you need to include in your plugin (since I am stuck with the bug I have described there).

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

BTW, how do you use the zip file you are pointing at, in order to have the same functionality as the version you packaged? I mean, where do I copy this stuff and is there anything else that needs to be done?