LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Bob_Schor

Utility to disassociate VI from Library (.lvlib)

Functionality already present in LabVIEW

I was trying to isolate two versions of code by putting them in a "Version 2.0" and "Version 2.1" library, and then (at run time) calling the appropriate analysis routine from the "correct" Library based on values stored in the data.  In the process, I managed to corrupt the .lvlib file, and (because I didn't know better) tried to "correct" this error by deleting the .lvlib file.

What that left me with was a file, formerly in the library, that I couldn't open without LabVIEW complaining bitterly that it could not find "Untitled Library 1.lvlib".  In addition, I could not even create a new Project and "Add" anything without such an error message appearing.

After a few weeks of struggle and consultation with NI Support, we found part of the problem -- the file that was formerly in the (now-deleted) Library had "hooks" to the Library embedded in its header.  Since this is in a proprietary (NI) binary format, I would like NI to provide a utility that can open a VI (or anything else that can be embedded in a Library) and remove the "hooks" that associate it with a particular .lvlib.  If this function were a LabVIEW function, then the user could write a utility using this function to apply it to a file, a folder, or a directory tree, as the situation warranted.  This would allow large VIs "corrupted" by being placed in, and improperly removed from, a Library to be returned to a stable, non-Library, state.

Bob Schor

4 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

File->Disconnect From Library

Yes, you currently have to do it on an individual file basis, but the capability is there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

And it also already exists as a method on the VI, so you can easily create a tool to do this programmatically for a bunch of VIs.

Also, just to be clear, those "hooks" are not there by accident. The library-VI relationship is two-way by design. Each library knows which VIs it owns and each VI knows which library owns it. There are good reasons for this design.

I agree, and "withdraw" this suggestion.  I'm new enough to Libraries, and the information is difficult enough to ferret out, that it wasn't until after I posted this, while looking up clues on how to "clone" a Library (make a copy, called Library 2, of Library 1, with the idea of modifying VIs in Library 2 to be the "second version" or for the "second Instrument") that I stumbled upon the "Disconnect from Library".  I just tested it on one of my "broken" VIs, and it does, indeed, fix it.  I'm perfectly capable of writing the Directory Traversal routine that can do a whole-scale Disconnect, now that I know about this Property.

Bob ("Always Learning") Schor

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Functionality already present in LabVIEW