LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_carl

More Colors for Classes

When you create a class, it gets assigned a "random" color.  But there are only 6 (or so) colors that are randomly chosen from. I do a lot of LVOOP, and generate a lot of classes. But because there's such a small selection of colors, I'll often drop class methods with the same color banner next to each other (and yes, with text), and it can sometimes be a bit misleading.

Why not have, say, 64 colors that are used to randomly assign class colors?  Or better yet, just use a randomly generated color within a range of shades?  It's such a simple change yet it would have a meaningful impact on the developer experience (well, at least mine).

_carl_0-1721943387831.png

2 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

@_carl wrote:

But because there's such a small selection of colors, I'll often drop class methods with the same color banner next to each other (and yes, with text), and it can sometimes be a bit misleading.

Why don't you change the color to something meaningful?

In my experience, most things generated automatically, let alone randomly, need to be changed anyway.

_carl

Why don't you change the color to something meaningful?

It's one extra, generally unnecessary step. Of course, I'll do this for classes that are regularly used and span a project. But for the vast majority of classes with limited scope and reach, the randomly assigned color is just fine for most purposes. It'd just be nice if there was a less than 1 in 6 chance of it being the same color as any adjacent class...